The Process of Cravings

Friday, August 13, 2010

Okay, so the fact that I didn't have breakfast and ate a relatively small lunch added to various other stressors have awoken a desire. Namely, a desire to go to Starbuck's and order a grande Tazo green tea blended creme drink.

Not the healthiest thing in the world, true. But I can leave off the whipped cream and have it made with nonfat milk, I tell myself, and that's only 290 calories. With 67 grams of carbs, true, which would comprise close to a quarter of the usual carbs in a 2,000 cal diet, but still...

This, my friends, is where I use psychology to its fullest advantage. I have a Cheat Day where I can eat and drink pretty much anything I like -- my Cheat Day is Sunday, two days away. So I study this craving and think, "Yeah, that would taste really good. And I'll get myself one...on Sunday. In the meantime, I need to address the fact that I'm hungry, the cafeteria is closed and I'm stuck here for another 2.5 hours without cash for the vending machines. Where can I get something quick, tasty and at least relatively healthy?"

Going out to get something is an option, but we're pretty much surrounded by fast food joints and I just can't choke down a fast food salad, I'm sorry. A fast rummage through my purse, however, and SCORE -- I have just enough change to get a bag of light butter popcorn from the machines. Once again, not the healthiest thing in the world, but a huge improvement over PopTarts and it'll hold me until I get home to the food in my fridge.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get my snack on.

0 comments: