Hitting the gym, PM Style

Monday, August 2, 2010

Over on my Facebook page, I sometimes post "It's gym time!" as I head off to Snap Fitness 24-7, usually around 10:00 PM. Last night, two people said, "You shouldn't work out this late at night -- you'll be up all night!"

Um, that may be true for other people, but for me it's not. After I've done forty minutes on the bike, plus whatever else I had that night (weights or swimming), the only thing I want to do when I get home is take a shower and do a faceplant. I know some people are energized by going to the gym -- yeah, not me. I do it because it's good for me, and it helps me go to sleep.

And to be honest, sometimes I can't get to the gym until 10:00 PM or later. Frex, yesterday was spent editing MMM, doing laundry, watering the lawn, enjoying my cheat meal at On The Border, editing the podcast, and running to the store for a stockup. By the time all that was finished, it was 11:00 PM. I'm supposed to skip a workout just because it's night time? I don't think so.

Yeah, I suppose I could have moved the workout back, but why? I like working out at night. The gym is less busy, if not totally deserted, and I can hit all the machines I need without waiting for someone else to finish. It's a safe facility so I don't feel uncomfortable being there by myself. And it's kind of peaceful to pedal away and drip sweat, kind of like a physically active meditation.

Oh, and there have been suggestions that I just work out in the morning. Uh...huh. People, have you SEEN me first thing in the morning? I'm running on the lizard brain until 9:00 AM at least -- if I hit the gym early and someone annoyed me, I'd probably wind up latching onto a limb and gnawing it off in my ire. And orange jumpsuits just clash with my hair so badly, you know?

WEIGHT: 310.8

FOOD FOR THE DAY: Breakfast was a bowl of lower-sugar oatmeal, and I just had a large cup of cut watermelon chunks as a midmorning snack. I may do a Thai wrap and a cup of cottage cheese for lunch, since dinner will be at FutureClassics and that means Chinese food.

0 comments: