I think I have an issue

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Well, I know I have an issue, but I'm getting it confirmed tomorrow (hopefully) during a doctor's appointment. For most of this year I've had problems with edema in my legs -- I've always retained water like a sponge and have looked 9 month's pregnant upon occasion due to the tummy bloat, but now my feet and ankles would swell up horribly, as well, which just ain't good.

And then there are the heart hiccups, as I like to call them. I've been having those since 2005 -- had them checked out by the doc, he pronounced them premature ventricular contractions and put me on beta blockers, which did absolutely nothing. They seem to come more frequently in the time between my fertile period and my period period, but could pop up at any time.

And then there's the fatigue that would crash over me like a tidal wave, leaving my ass bone tired and unable to muster the energy to do even the simplest things like do laundry or write, for God's sake. Oddly enough, I have been able to swim every night since the 12th, but I also know that I'm just not clearing the lactose buildup like I should and it knocks my ass right out.

And then there's the lightheadedness, which was the final straw when it happened all during Gay Days and left me wondering if I was going to pass out a couple of times. It's also been kind of hard at times to think straight, which is just not good in my line of work.

Usually, these symptoms indicate some degree of heart failure. And if that's what I have, then fine -- I want it diagnosed and I want a treatment plan. It's not curable, but it's treatable and maintainable, and there are things I can do to strengthen the heart muscle. But first I have to take some of the stress off it, which means ACE inhibitors and diuretics. And if it's something else, also fine -- I just need to know what the hell is going on.

So here we go.

0 comments: