And the beat goes on

Sunday, March 30, 2008

I didn't manage two walking sessions yesterday, but I did go out and do my 40 minutes in the apartment complex rather than on the treadmill. Big difference between free walking and treadmill walking -- for one thing, when my back starts hurting I can hang onto the handrails on the treadmill. When I'm out in the complex, the best I can do is lock my hands behind my back and use my arms as lower back support. A walking corset is starting to look rather attractive, I must admit.

As to general weight and all, I've made a command decision -- I'm not weighing myself until May 1. I know from prior experience that if I weigh myself regularly, even if it's only every week, I have a bad habit of looking at a loss and either skipping a workout or eating something truly bad for me. I realized a long time ago that a rather major part of me is afraid of losing weight. And yes, I know how stupid that sounds, but there are fairly well-entrenched psychological issues behind the fear. I'm trying to erase and re-record the mental tapes that are causing that reaction, but it's going to take some time and effort. In the meantime, no scales -- I'll base my estimations on how I feel and how I fit in my clothes, which is really all that counts, anyway.

Saturday's total mileage: 527.66 miles to Isengard.

2 comments:

Walt said...

We differ in the weighing in philosophies. I weigh myself when I get up in the morning and when I go to bed at night. I need to know where I'm at at all times. If I show a higher number,
I know I have to be more diligent. If I show a lower number, my first thought isn't to slack off, it's how can I improve on this number. I don't think I can go without weighing in. Occasionally I'll jump in the shower without weighing myself and it puts me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. I won't weigh myself out of the shower because I'm convinced I've absorbed too much water. I'm nuts like that.

Melanie said...

You aren't alone -- I know a number of people who MUST know how much they weigh at any point, and use that as a spur to maintain the weight loss. I kinda wish I was like that, but like I said, psych issues say no, ignore the scale for now.