Okay, there's a reason why you need a rest day

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Because if you swim 6 days a week and you get your tubby body up to 45 laps, your muscles are gonna, well, hurt.

Of course, now that I've gotten into the habit of swimming I actially felt kind of guilty that I didn't get into the pool yesterday. However, when I got on the scale this morning and discovered that I'd lost .8 of a pound anyway (most likely water weight from inflammation of sore muscles, but whatever), I decided it was a good thing nonetheless.

One thing that IS frustrating me about the scales, however -- I can see the changes in my arms and legs, and even my tummy is starting to shrink the tiniest bit, which is all good. But scale-wise I've lost almost nothing, which is somewhat frustrating. I don't know if I'm replacing fat with muscles (I'm more used to doing that when I lift weights, but I suppose I would increase muscle mass somewhat with swimming), and I'm not complaining about the physical changes. I would just like to see a downward shift in that magic number, as well. If nothing else, my feet would appreciate it.

0 comments: